We recently moved to a
way cooler nicer area of Long Beach, and with the 5 minute walk to the beach, extra bedroom and bath also came a gourmet grocer RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET. As in I don’t need to get into my car to get fancy smancy delicious food. It’s ain’t no Zingerman’s Deli, but it has a nice selection of cheeses ‘n meats, and outrageously good prepared foods! For $2.50 I can get a healthy serving of the best curry macaroni EVER. And since I haven’t dare try another, you must believe me.
I usually don’t shop in the pre-made section, me no like paying extra dinero $$ for someone else to assemble a bunch of ingredients, some of which I’d prefer were left out. But there are two premade salads I eat, and weird enough they’re both curry salads. Since I’ve already shared the curry chicken salad, I thought I’d share this because it’s equally addicting and way easier.
Yes I know I said curry macaroni, but all I had were bowties. They taste the same… and are actually not whole wheat (obvi from the pic) which is weird for me, but I really wanted to get the same flavor as from the store across the street. (I tried to get some hints on the recipe but, rightly so, those guys are sticklers.)
curry macaroni with bowties
makes 4 servings
1/4 c. mayo
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 box bowtie pasta (use a little less than 1/2 box)
1/4 c. diced red bell pepper
1/4 c. diced yellow bell pepper
1/4 c. diced red onion
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1. Make the pasta according to package.
2. Mix all the ingredients together for the sauce, set aside.
3. While the pasta cooks chop up the peppers, onion and parsley.
4. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 c. pasta water. To hot pasta add sauce and rest of the toppings. Stir until combined. Add pasta water to thin out sauce if needed.
** Depending on how sauce-y you like your pasta salads, you might want to double the sauce recipe and make a little more than half the box of pasta. I didn’t have exactly the right ratio with 1/2 box pasta, that is why I said to use less. Mine ended up being nicely lightly dressed.
- Curry Chicken Salad (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- Bowties and Bulgur (markbittman.com)
- Creamy Whole Wheat Pasta with Goat Cheese, Tomato and Basil (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- Comfort Cravings: Vegan Mac and Cheese (fitsugar.com)