Can I confess something?
I have never cooked an acorn squash before. Let’s be real, I don’t even know how many times I’ve eaten acorn squash before (hint: not that many.)
And why, may I ask, has no one smacked me upside my head for that? I ’bout did it myself. But I was too busy enjoying this outrageously lip-smacking-good roasted acorn squash, recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart, who else.
Seriously, who else can take about 5 ingredients and birth a creation with such splendor as this. Well, I’m sure that chick from the Food Network, 5-ingredient fix does it, but really, lets give some props to Martha. Girl, you rock!
If you’re into eating only one thing for dinner, this would serve as a spectacular main dish meal, and it’s vegetarian!
We opted for chicken tonight, and since the oven was already rolling, I marinated some chicken breasts with some balsamic ‘n dijon mustard and tossed ’em in too. And then ate them before I could take a picture. Whoops.
So if you’re like me and don’t get enough acorn squash in your kitchen or if you are completely sane and eat this every day it’s in season, give this recipe a try.
I thanked Martha, and you will too!
Besides, it’s never to early to start collecting Thanksgiving recipes!
balsamic roasted acorn squash with shallots slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
1 acorn squash, about 2 lbs
6 shallots, whole and peeled
1 1/2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3/4 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut acorn squash in half, and then quarter the halves (so basically cut into eighths.
- Peel shallots, leaving them whole, or if slicing, leave root end in tact.
- Toss shallots and squash with remaining ingredients to coat. Evenly distribute into single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for about 40 minutes, turning squash halfway through.
- meatless monday: penne pasta primavera (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- Recipe: Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese, Sage, and Toasted Pecans (self.com)
- herb goat cheese stuffed squash blossoms (thetalkingkitchen.com)
- Maple-Chile Glazed Chicken with Acorn Squash (jensfreshandfabulous.com)